I spent far too much time researching for this short article. Perhaps a more smelly brand would have more information to create a longer article, so I guess that is a good thing for this brand.
Avocado mattresses smell like a farm according to one comment, and reviews at Reddit, Consumer Reports (1.5% negative due to smells), and the Avocado Green website, where 0.7% of reviewers had issues with the lingering odor. This is actually impressive compared to most mattresses
Avocado Mattress Smells Like Farm
Smells like a farm and the owner has the odor of sheep in hair in the morning. This is after only one night and I have not found an update so I am guessing the odor went away.
Update March 6, 2021: This is no longer one of my two recommended companies. Go to my short list to see what the two companies are now.
I summarized some of my findings that I thought would be helpful to others. I have lots of time to waste and I am sure most of you are busy. I need to find a hobby 🙂
Avocado Mattress Smells Like Urine
- One owner has tried spraying with disinfectant, but that only works for a few hours.
- You can eliminate or at least reduce odors using the methods I list in my article here.
- It was written for the Purple mattress, but the techniques work for some latex and hybrid brands.
General Stinky Odor Complaints
- The smell is gone after almost two weeks.
- The smell of the topper is gone after two weeks but the mattress is still strong smell like vanilla, but still really like the mattress.
- Smell like cotton but does not bother the poster and she is super sensitive to odors.
- The owner states the odor hung around for three weeks, but the couple loves it.
Smelly Mattress Solutions
I wrote an article about the Purple mattress odors and I included six solutions for owners to try to eliminate odors and you can read them here.
Consumer Reports Smell Complaints
- Funky weird odor still after four months.
- Sensitive to odors and going to return it.
- Smells like vanilla for a day or two but I don’t mind it.
There are 136 reviews on Consumer Reports and only four complained about the smell and two stated they like the product. That is 1.5% of negative smell comments, so pretty good compared to other brands.
Avocado Green Mattress Website Reviews
I am not going to spend the time to go through more than 12,000 reviews, but I will go through enough to see what the trend it.
Ok, I looked at 300 reviews and only found two that were negative (less than 0.7%) about the smell and many that stated there was no smell.
- One reviewer is very sensitive to odors and has no problems with this product.
- Initially gave off a strong smell.
- The odor lingered for a couple of months but did not mind it.
There are zero reviews on BBB.org however there are eight complaints. Not one of them mention smell as an issue.